Most people, including cannabis users, would find a certain comfort in gummy candies. These colorful, chewy treats offer a sweet and fruity flavor most people find hard to resist. Moreover, gummies somehow provide people with a sense of nostalgia – a reminder of simpler times during childhood.
Unsurprisingly, it did not take long for someone to realize what a good idea it is to infuse these delightful treats with cannabis. After all, there is no better way to enjoy an old favorite than by pairing it with a new one. Eventually, it led to a highly in-demand edible widely available today.
Just about 30 years ago, cooking and eating cannabis was still considered unusual and taboo, reserved mostly for Cheech and Chong followers. Fast-forward today, edibles have already evolved into an essential part of cannabis culture. Its legalization in many states has opened the doors for tons of variants – cookies, firecrackers and, of course, gummy candies.
It comes in different flavors and all kinds of shapes from soft jelly bricks to adorable bears. Aside from its taste and physical form, it can also be infused with cannabinoids. Apart from THC and CBD level, it is up to individuals to pick a strain for distinct traits.
THC Gummies. Pairing the sweet, sugar rush of candy with the potent high of cannabis gives an incredibly unique experience to users. Like most THC-infused edibles, though, gummies spiked with THC is only allowed in 9 US states where the recreational use of marijuana is legal.
CBD Gummies. Medical users could enjoy the sweet childhood delicacy with added therapeutic benefits. In this case, the particular strain used is one that has exceptionally low psychoactive compounds but high level of cannabidiols.
Cannabis gummies either contain THC, CBD, or both which can be used to alleviate various illnesses. Not to mention, it also contains terpenes that have aromatic properties, and works in synergy with other cannabinoids to enhance the effects.
Chronic Pain. Cannabis has long been used to appease chronic pain. Pain-detecting nerves contain abundant cannabinoid receptors. By coming in contact with these receptors, THC and CBD are able to block nerve pain temporarily. Moreover, researchers suggest that opiates and cannabinoids suppress pain through different mechanisms. This means can be used together with opioids to increase their pain-relieving effects with little to no side effects.
Sleep Disorders. Studies on cannabis and sleep disorders suggest that CBD has a tremendous therapeutic potential in relieving insomnia and other sleep disorders.
Anxiety. A 2010 study showed that CBD could help reduce symptoms of anxiety in people by calming their minds. Researchers scanned the brains of the participants and found significant changes in areas of the brain linked to anxiety.
Inflammation. Researchers suggest that CBD and THC can help suppress inflammatory responses in the body. Limonene, a terpene found in many cannabis strains, has also been found to be even more effective than ibuprofen in inhibiting the inflammation in the colon.
Advantages Over Other Cannabis-Derived Products
Aside from its health benefits, cannabis gummies also offer several advantages over other marijuana-derived or infused products.
- Easy to take. Unlike pills and tablet which can be difficult to swallow at times, gummies are easy to take as they are soft, chewable, and palatable.
- Long-lasting. Effects of edibles like gummies tend to last longer than smoked or vaped cannabis. The effects of the weed linger for up to eight hours, depending on the dosage. However, it may also take an hour or two before its benefits manifest.
- Less harmful than smoking. Smoking can have adverse health effects in the long run. Not only does it affect the lungs and throat, it can also hinder the function of other organs including the heart. Edibles like gummy candies, on the other hand, do not have these harmful side effects.
How To Make Cannabis-Infused Gummies
Making cannabis gummies is easy and affords a gratifying experience. Not only can users decide on the appearance of their gummies, they can also control the desired dosage and flavor, too.
To make fantastic weed gummies, the user must first accomplish two things.
Decarboxylate The Weed
Preparing any cannabis edibles starts with decarboxylating the buds. This process activates the THC in marijuana, enabling it to deliver the desired buzz and its pharmaceutical benefits. One cannot just toss raw cannabis into a recipe and hope that it will provide an incredible high.
The good news is, decarboxylating cannabis is reasonably straightforward. All the user has to do is to grind the marijuana buds, place it in a cookie sheet, and roast it in the oven between 110°C and 120°C for 1 hour. Another way to do this is by putting the weed in a vacuum-sealed boiling bag and submerging it in boiling water for about 90 minutes.
Make Cannabis Tincture
A primary ingredient of cannabis gummies is the tincture. Cannabis tinctures are alcohol-based cannabis extracts. It is easy to make but takes time to prepare. As an option, tinctures could be purchased as it is widely available online or at local dispensaries.
- 1-liter jar with lid
- 30 grams ground, decarboxylated cannabis
- Vodka (or vegetable glycerine, for people who do not drink)
- Pour the decarboxylated weed into the jar.
- Fill the jar with the alcohol or glycerine, leaving about an inch of space at the top of the jar. Seal with the lid.
- Leave the jar in a dark cabinet for at least two weeks.
- After two weeks, test the tincture to see if it fits the desired potency. For a stronger concentrate, leave the mixture sitting on the cabinet for up to a few months.
- Once satisfied with the end-product, strain the plant matter off the mixture and pour the resulting tincture into dropper bottles.
Easy Cannabis Gummy Recipe
Once the tincture is ready, everything is all set for the weed gummy recipe. This recipe offers a simple way to prepare the delectable cannabis treat with minimal preparation.
- 500 ml of 100 percent juice fruit juice
- 4 tablespoons of gelatin
- 3 tablespoons of raw honey
- 3-4 teaspoons of tincture depending (can be adjusted depending on the desired potency)
- Gummy molds
- Pour the juice into a medium-sized pan and place it over low heat. Warm the liquid but do not let it boil.
- Once the juice is already warm, add the tincture.
- To completely dissolve, slowly whisk the gelatin into the mixture.
- Add one tablespoon of honey at a time until it reaches the preferred sweetness.
- Pour the mixture into the molds. Refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Take the gummies out of the mold. The user may eat one gummy to have a general idea of how strong each piece is.
- Place the gummies in a sealed container and refrigerate again until next consumption. For maximum effect, keep the gummies refrigerated for at least two weeks.
Cherry, Green Tea, CBD Gummy Bears Recipe
This gummy bear recipe will give the user a much-needed boost with tart cherry juice, coconut water, and green tea.
- 3 to 4 teaspoons of CBD or THC tincture
- 1/2 cup organic coconut water
- 2 bags green tea
- 3/4 cup tart cherry juice
- 3 tablespoons creamed honey
- 1/8 teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- 4 tablespoons of gelatin
- Pour coconut water into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Steep the tea bags in the hot coconut water for at least four minutes.
- Add honey, cherry juice, and salt into the saucepan. Stir gently to blend the mixture thoroughly. Bring mixture to boil, then decrease heat to simmer.
- Whisk gelatin into the mixture for at least three minutes.
- Add the desired dosage of tincture into the mixture. Stir thoroughly.
- Remove mixture from the heat and transfer into a condiment bottle using a funnel.
- Squeeze the mixture into the mold. Be careful as this liquid is hot.
- Allow it to cool for at least 15 minutes before refrigerating for three to four hours.
- Remove the gummies from the mold. Try one gummy to have a general idea of how potent each piece is.
- Place the gummies in a sealed container and refrigerate again until next consumption.
A Familiar Treat With A New Twist
Gummy candies are childhood staples; no kid at heart can resist its bright, playful colors and sweet, fruity flavors. With the invention of cannabis-infused gummies, weed enthusiasts can enjoy this old favorite. Moreover, this treat does not only cater to those who want a couch-locking high. Those looking for a way to harness the health benefits of weed without the accompanying buzz can turn to CBD gummies. Unlike other oral medicines, it is easier to take, longer-lasting, and better-tasting.
Preparing cannabis gummies is relatively simple. It takes time, though – especially if making own tincture. Then again, a little wait is all worth it for this delightful, health-giving reward. Just be mindful of activating the weed and getting the right dosage to maximize the efficacy of the delectable treat.