What Are The Disadvantages of Regular Marijuana Seeds?
Originally, the only way to undertake growing weed with cannabis seeds was from batches of 'regular' seeds which, of course, was the way nature intended them to be. In the context of marijuana, “regular” (you may also find them referred to as “unsexed”) implies that the seed production of a plant occurs in roughly equal male and female weed seeds quantities. Just as it would if left untouched in nature.
In their natural state, cannabis plants are dioecious, meaning their seeds will produce distinct male and female plants. These offspring carry both X and Y chromosomes and there is, therefore, theoretically speaking a 50% chance of sprouting either a male (XY) or female (XX) plant from the usage of non-feminized pot seeds.
This can be an issue because most of the demand from people growing marijuana at home is for the purpose of harvesting marijuana plants for the flower. Most home growers want to consume the flower, in many different ways, and therefore they are mainly looking to grow female plants. Only a female marijuana plant produces flowers ideally suited for consumption.
However, since most people cultivate marijuana for cannabinoid-rich buds, females are generally nurtured whilst the males get discarded. This is because female plants produce smokable or otherwise consumable buds, whereas the male cannabis flowers will produce pollen. Upon maturity, these pollens fertilize females - prompting the pollinated pot plant to create seeds instead of the potent resin-coated nugs desired.
Unless marijuana seed creation is the intention, male pollination is undesired as it lessens the bud yield and overall potency of the flower.
The common practice is to identify and discard the males in the batch. It can be arduous for the novice marijuana grower to undertake the process of sexing marijuana plants (determining whether they are male or female weed plants) in the early days of the growing process and so this often means having to scrap approximately 50% of the plants you have already tended for a month or more.
To make up for this loss, growers will often sprout twice the amount of the female plants they aspire to cultivate. However, this is not the most efficient or most cost-effective solution.
To satisfy this demand, and to ensure that marijuana plant yield and quality are maximized, feminized seeds were created. In today’s market the biggest marijuana seed companies focus on producing and providing stable lines of feminized cannabis seeds.
When you grow with feminized pot seeds you are almost guaranteed to produce only female marijuana plants in your garden. The main advantage of this is that it takes out a lot of unnecessary work and costs for the home. As most, if not all, of your weed plants will be female you are removing the gender lottery and, importantly, reducing the cost of producing your home grown marijuana crop.
When Would I Want to Consider Using Regular Seeds?
Despite the revolutionary breeding practices brought about by the advent of feminized and autoflowering marijuana seed varieties, unsexed cannabis seeds are still a staple in the industry and play an important role in the development of new and interesting mariuana cultivars
That is because they offer several advantages that their genetically engineered counterparts do not possess.
- Creating New Strains:
Regular seeds are vital for the creation of new strains or phenotypes because it maintains the diversity of the cannabis gene pool.
One of the beauties of a dioecious species is that the distinction between males and females maximizes the chance of genetic recombination. In hermaphroditic or monoecious plants, a single plant contains both male and female sexual organs. So, it reproduces by self-pollination. This means that it will produce offspring with DNA that is identical to its parent.
It also results in inbreeding wherein the lack of variation leads to weakened genetic health because the offspring retains the flaws of its parent.
As such, growing cannabis from regular seeds ensures that the full lineage of both the male and female parents is fully expressed - thereby diversifying the traits and genes that the hybrid inherits.
Remember that when feminized seeds are produced a preferred phenotype is selected then reverse pollen is used to preserve the new generation of seedlings. This is sought after for producing the same experience each time it is grown.
However with regular cannabis seeds you can find a genetically untouched phenotype that is totally different and ends up being “the keeper” in your grow room. This process is often referred to as “pheno hunting”.
- Producing Males for Breeding Purposes:
Despite the commercial aversion to males amongst homegrow enthusiasts male plants are often highly important, especially when it comes to selective breeding.
Only regular pot seeds produce males, and since it is the gender that bears the pollen, male specimens are essential for creating cannabis cultivars with enhanced features.
In general, crossing male and female cannabis plants sprouted from unaltered regular marijuana seeds produce healthy, stable offspring. This is because it contains the male chromosomes that are often missing in feminized varieties.
- Females Sprouted from Regular Seeds are Ideal Mother Plants:
Often, regular cannabis seeds are more genetically stable than their feminized weed seed counterparts. Since cannabis plants are inherently dioecious, it is incredibly rare - in fact, almost unheard of - for "regular females" to display hermaphroditic tendencies, even when subjected to less favorable conditions.
As such, a female plant produced from a regular seed is ideal as a mother plant for the later production of either seeds or clones. Further, plants sprouted from regular seeds often do a better job of retaining the best features of their parents.
- It's Often Less Expensive:
Regular seeds offer the same genetics, but often at a lower price compared to their feminized versions. That is because these standard seeds are unaltered, which means that no genetic modification techniques were applied in producing it.
This ensures that the cost of purchasing regular seeds is very often considerably cheaper than the feminized version. If you are happy to spend the time culling the males from your crop then this is a sensible choice.
How to Identify the Sex of Your Marijuana Seedlings?
As we discussed a little earlier in this article, marijuana growers cultivating cannabis for consumption usually have little use for male plants. Nevertheless, the benefits of sprouting from regular seeds can make up for the extra effort it entails.
The process of cultivating regular and feminized seeds are essentially the same. Both varieties must be raised in optimal cannabis growing conditions with the right level of light exposure, warmth, and humidity. Adequate feeding and watering are also essential to ensure survival and health. However, there is one crucial step when growing regular seeds that can spell the difference between a fruitful and disastrous harvest i.e; accurately sexing your marijuana plants.
Unfortunately, there is no agreed guaranteed method of identifying whether the seed is male or female just by looking at it or during the process of germinating marijuana seeds. To combat this the cultivator will usually germinate all the seeds and tend to the weed plants for 3 to 4 weeks, until it forms pre-flowers (it should be noted, however, some plants may take up to 6 weeks to develop pre-flowers), at which point it is relatively simple to distinguish between the male and female cannabis plants.
Note that the earlier you identify and discard males, the less the chance of accidental pollination will be so regular and intensive oversight is required to ensure the health of your crop. To determine the plant's gender the cultivator needs to closely inspect the nodes, looking out for the small, oval pods (or sacs) that contain pollen and which signify a male cannabis plant.
Plants with these physical traits must be immediately separated to prevent it from pollinating your female crop.
Where to Buy Marijuana Seeds USA?
Marijuana seeds can be obtained either through walk-in stores or online shopping. The latter offers several advantages - convenience and accessibility being the most compelling ones.
That is why choosing only reputable sources is crucial in getting top-quality seeds. Homegrown Cannabis Co. is a prime example of a trustworthy seedstore offering nothing but high quality cannabis seeds. Due to these kernels being sourced from stable mothers with the best traits, we offer the best marijuana seeds online - almost guaranteed to be healthy females donning superior genetics.
Homegrown Cannabis Co. provides customers with the widest choice possible - we know that there is a perfect strain out there for every cannabis consumer - and we focus on making your buying experience and after care as painless as we can. If what you want is to buy cannabis seeds today and get to planting, we’re here to make that happen for you!
We believe that Homegrown Cannabis Co. is the best place to buy marijuana seeds online in the USA.
You can read thousands of genuine customer reviews here.
To buy weed seeds online, you just need a US address and access to any one of our numerous payment methods. Homegrown Cannabis Co. has hundreds of feminized pot seeds for sale - the widest range on the market and then some.
Don't forget, you can also purchase bulk orders from us using the wholesale enquiry form on your female marijuana seeds - we can provide up to 50,000 seeds of any strain from available stock for commercial purposes.
Alternatively, if you are a homegrower or variety seeking strains we offer 4 Packs, 8 Packs, 12 Packs and 25 Packs of all of our marijuana strains. Feel free to revisit us every few weeks to see what is fresh and new or just to add to your collection.
Make sure to do adequate research on your strain of choice and ensure that the expected height and other growing requirements of specific cannabis strains are something you’re going to be prepared for in advance. To that end why not take a look at our Grow Your Own section with an industry legend, Kyle Kushman, offering the best advice you can find.
If you can’t find the answers to your questions on our website, please reach out to our team on+1 (760) 313-7455 or by using the ticket submission section in the bottom right of your screen. If you have grow related questions then get the answers you need by visiting and engaging with our growing community.
Thank you for stopping by and, we hope, shopping with America’s premium marijuana seed bank.
Homegrown's Most Popular Regular Weed Seeds
- Gorilla Glue: The original Gorilla Glue is famed for producing buds generously coated in gooey resins. Apart from gluing the blades of sheers with its stickiness, it also cements the user on the couch with its powerful body buzz. Such is a testament of its 28% THC potency.
- Lemon Pie:This strain is prized for its refreshing citrus scent and mostly cerebral high complemented by a full-bodied relaxation. It is a delight not only to the senses but also to one's green thumb because Lemon Pie is incredibly easy to cultivate. On top of that, it yields a satisfying harvest.
- God Bud: There is no other way to describe God Bud other than "heavenly." Despite sporting a modest frame, this strain yields up to 500 grams of resin-caked buds capable of propelling the mind towards a hallucinogenic journey. Such cerebral effects are then perfectly complemented by a pleasant numbing sensation.
- Bruce Banner: Bruce Banner is nothing like its calm namesake. If anything, it resembles The Incredible Hulk given its 29% THC that delivers a smashing cerebral high. It is also a favorite among growers due to its monstrous yields.
- Gorilla Glue #4 x Zkittles: Crossing a potent strain with an incredibly tasty variety resulted in a heavily sedating hybrid boasting decadent berry flavors. This multi-awarded cannabis hybrid also delights growers with its copious yields of resinous buds.
- Mochalope: One whiff of Mochalope's tantalizing aroma is all it takes to induce cravings for this bud. Known for its chocolatey fragrance accentuated by notes of coffee and hash, this dessert strain is perfect for Indica lovers with a sweet tooth. Cultivation-wise, it does not disappoint with its above-average yields of decadent buds.
- Chocolope: This six-time Cannabis Cup winner never fails to impress with its sweet chocolate-coffee aroma, well-balanced effects, and copious yields. It thrives best outdoors where each plant produces up to 700 grams of tasty buds.
- Agent Orange: Agent Orange buds feature the sought-after attributes of classic high-THC Sativa variants. However, this coveted strain is quite rare. Hence, to experience its invigorating and relaxing effects, home cultivation is often recommended.
- Harlequin x Bubba Kush: This strain combines two of the most remarkable medicinal strains in the cannabis scene. The result of such a union is a hybrid with 5:2 CBD to THC ratio exerting a subtle psychedelic high along with a wealth of therapeutic benefits.
- Jilly Bean: Jilly Bean is a versatile plant known for its invigorating and relaxing effects. It is also a favorite among growers because of its easy to grow nature and prolific yields amounting to as much as 700 grams per plant.